Bone Cancer Symptoms
Perhaps you have already heard of a disease such as a primary bone cancer. Very often, when it comes to cancer, there comes a time when malignant cells damage bone tissue, but this is called secondary or metastatic bone cancer. This is due to the growth and development of the tumor, which reaches the bone structure of the body.
However, in recent years, according to medical statistics, cases of detection of so-called “primary bone cancer”, that is, tumors that form directly in bone tissues, have become more frequent.
It should be noted that the survival rate of patients with this disease is high enough, provided that it was diagnosed at an early stage. Hence the importance of preventive measures and good awareness. Despite the severity of the disease, there are also positive aspects, namely, that it makes itself felt by very characteristic pain sensations.
Let’s look at this in more detail!
What is the primary bone cancer?
Primary bone cancer is not so common, and therefore not as well known as other types of cancer (for example, breast or colon cancer). But this does not make it less dangerous, and the symptoms are often confused with other health problems, so it is so important to be well informed.
So, bone cancer affects our skeleton, and, as a rule, in most cases, these are areas close to the knee joint (shin and thigh). This does not apply to secondary cancer, that is, the one that is the result of the presence of metastases from the primary tumor. The primary bone cancer can be of three types:
- Osteosarcoma: the most common type, which, unfortunately, affects mainly teenagers who are in the stage of active physical growth. This tumor appears in new, developing bone tissues.
- Chondrosarcoma: most often affects people aged 40 to 60 years and is formed in cartilage.
- Ewing’s sarcoma: typical for young children, whose nerve tissues are still immature, which can lead to the appearance of small sarcomas in the bone marrow. Here it is necessary to take into account the hereditary predisposition and the fact that the development of the disease can be prevented, good results are provided by radiotherapy, for example.
Symptoms of primary bone cancer
In today’s article, we will focus on the type of bone cancer that is characteristic of adults, namely, chondrosarcoma. As noted earlier, its symptoms can be confused with the symptoms of other diseases (inflammation, arthritis, osteoporosis…), so it is very important to determine some of the characteristic features of its symptoms.
Severe localized pain
- Sometimes there are days when the knees hurt more than the ordinary. We associate this with fatigue and try to solve the problem with the help of anti-inflammatory and analgesics. Here you need to know that in oncology, namely in the primary bone cancer, pain will be significant on the more acute.
- Particular attention should be paid to the knee joint, thigh and lower leg, since in 70% of cases the chondrosarcoma concentrates in these places.
- The pain that we feel is so strong that sometimes even the light touch of a hand or clothing to the sick site becomes unbearable . In this case, there is a burning sensation, and medicines of special relief do not bring.
When a tumor forms in the bone or joint, then as the tissue grows, the surrounding tissues are gradually affected. As a result, you may notice a characteristic seal, thickening or swelling, which should alert you. And this is not just an inflammation, that is, when you press it, you will feel a much harder texture than if it was an ordinary swelling in arthritis, for example.
Increased body temperature
- Almost always oncology is accompanied by an increase in body temperature. As you can see, the symptomatology is quite obvious, it can not be ignored, which means that it should be viewed as something positive, which will help us as soon as possible to consult a doctor, diagnose the disease at an early stage of its development and cope with it.
- Just do not self-medicate. It is very important not to try to disguise the symptoms with the help of strong medicines and not to hide from the information, you need to be aware of what really happens to your body.
Possible fractures of bones
- Bone fractures occur, as a rule, already at later stages, when the tumor has already weakened the bone so much that cracks and tissue ruptures appeared. But until this moment the body will show you more than once that something is wrong: acute pain, excessive fatigue and fatigue, inflammation, high body temperature.
- That’s why it’s so important to be very attentive to all these signals. Bone cancer is not so common, but the danger is that it can be confused with other diseases and not go on time to the doctor (with the appearance of the first symptoms). Watch your knees and always try to get qualified medical help, if you have any suspicions, it will help to eliminate and prevent serious problems.
And remember that this terrible disease, diagnosed at early stages and with appropriate treatment, has very good predictions for complete recovery. Take care of yourself, because no one will do it better than yourself!