Bottled Water – Is Plastic Packaging Safe?
The theme of our today’s conversation is bottled water. To begin, answer the following questions: Do you buy water in plastic bottles? And in the glass?
At the time of purchase, we usually pay attention to the composition of the water, its origin, the dining room is water, or medical …
But have you ever thought about the effect plastic packaging itself has on our health ? We suggest that you find out more about this in our article.
Bottled Water: How to choose the most useful?
In stores, bottled water is sold in two types: in glass and plastic bottles . The use of plastic for food packaging has always caused great controversy. They have an extremely negative impact on the environment.
This is a whole huge industry of production, which includes enterprises for the production of plastic packaging, labels and even privatization of water. Nevertheless, the most important question for us is whether such water is useful for our health.
Let’s look at the latest research results on this topic.
1. Plastic bottles
Plastic bottles are made of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) . What is this substance? It is a polymer, a chemical element, which, according to a number of studies, can release some elements that then enter the water.
Thus, it can be said that the bottled water we drink from plastic bottles may contain these “additional” substances not listed on the label. What are the elements that make up PET packaging?
- Phthalates . These elements serve to give flexibility to the plastic. They have a negative impact on health only if they enter our body in large quantities, in which case they can cause, for example, endocrine problems. Nevertheless, it should be remembered that these chemicals are present in every plastic bottle that we buy.
- Antimony. It is the catalyst in the manufacture of PET packaging. Is this element harmful for our health? Of course. Antimony can cause cancer and respiratory diseases. But not everything is so terrible, health authorities have established the limits of migration of this element from the package to the content, as a rule, they are allowed only in very small quantities. For our peace and security, WHO (World Health Organization) ensures that these standards will be met by all manufacturers.
- Formaldehyde and acetaldehyde. It is because of these compounds that bottled water sometimes has that “plastic” taste. Experts say that this happens only when bottles are exposed to sunlight, then these compounds penetrate into the water, so you need to take care of the proper storage of bottled water. PET bottles, with normal use, give off a small amount of formaldehyde and acetaldehyde.
And finally, is PET packaging dangerous for our health ? No, for us there is no direct risk. Health authorities are monitoring the compliance with the production standards and the concentration of these harmful substances falling into bottled water, as a rule, is very low.
Nevertheless, there are much healthier alternatives that will help us avoid even this minimal risk. If we think about the amount of water in the plastic packaging that we consume in a year (as well as the amount of impurities that it contains!), Then you can be horrified. Therefore, it is better to think about more interesting options, and which are also much more environmentally friendly.
2. Safe alternatives to plastic bottles.
- Bottled water in glass . Of course, they will cost you more, but you will take care of your health, and this is priceless.
- Water filter. As you know, tap water is another economical alternative to purchased water, but sometimes it contains too much calcium and other elements that are not useful to us in such quantities. However, we can install a small filter with reverse osmosis, which will help us eliminate these harmful elements.
- Filters-jugs for water purification . This system is similar to the previous version. Such filters purify water, eliminate odor, unpleasant taste and it is a safe and convenient option for daily use.
Things you should never do with plastic bottles!
- Re-use bottles : This is extremely dangerous, so you should never do it. Many people, after they finish drinking water from a plastic bottle, instead of throwing it, again fill it with water. And this despite the fact that the warning is written on the label of most containers, thus manufacturers are trying to prevent the risk of infection with microorganisms. In an empty plastic bottle can get numerous fungi or bacteria. When we fill it with water again, these microorganisms eventually end up in our bodies, and we can get sick. Also, do not ignore the fact that the longer we use the bottle, the more harmful elements from the PET package fall into the water. So remember: an empty plastic bottle place in the trash can!
- Allow the bottle to hit the sun: We have already mentioned this danger. When the plastic comes in contact with something hot, or heated in the sun, formaldehyde and acetaldehyde are liberated, as a result of which we get not only a bad taste of water, but also an upset stomach. Always store water in a cool and dark place!