The Spanish Society of Angiology and Vascular Surgery (SEACV) shares with us simple but important recommendations that will help us improve the quality of life and fully enjoy the hot summer, despite varicose veins .
We are sure that this information will be useful to you.
Varicose veins in the summer, daily torture for your feet
Specialists of Ramona Cahal hospital in Madrid (Spain) tell us that, despite the fact that the main cause of varicose veins is a genetic factor, sometimes problems such as obesity or sedentary lifestyle can also contribute to its appearance.
However, with the arrival of summer and the rise in temperature outside the window, any person suffering from venous insufficiency can face a number of problems that should be paid attention to in time to take precautions:
- Augmented veins
- Increases fluid retention in the body (edema)
- Increases blood pressure and pain
- Increased risk of blood clots
- Increased pain in the legs and swollen ankles
It should be clearly understood that there are no miraculous cures for varicose veins . We can improve our condition with the help of exercises and the implementation of certain recommendations, but in some cases this problem can be solved only by undergoing a surgical operation.
Remember also that varicose is not only an aesthetic problem: in fact it is the result of valve failure in the veins of the lower limbs . They expand, stretch and the blood flow slows down.
So, first you need to see a doctor, so that he observes the condition of your varicose veins , take the medicines he has prescribed, and when summer comes, apply these simple recommendations in practice, which are sure to be of use to you.
How to take care of veins with varicose in summer
The medical journal “Doctors and Patients” offers us some interesting strategies approved by the Spanish Phlebology Union (CEF) and the Spanish Society of Angiology and Vascular Surgery, mentioned above.
Thus, we suggest remembering these simple tips:
1. Avoid direct exposure to heat
We perfectly understand that when the summer comes you like to lie on the beach or by the pool to at least a little tan .
You must be very careful, because high temperatures contribute to the expansion of varicose veins and from this the problem is only aggravated. Please pay attention to the following tips:
- Sunbathe during periods of least heat (until 10 am and after 5 pm).
- If you need to go outside during the hours of the highest solar activity (which is highly not recommended in this case), apply a protective cream on your feet, and if you are on the beach or by the pool, then pour your feet with cool water every 15 to 20 minutes.
- Doctors warn that it is better to avoid any sources of heat, if you have varicose veins, so, for example, do not do depilation with hot wax.
2. More traffic!
- Walk along the sand during the hours of the least solar activity. Sand activates our blood circulation and it is very useful.
- If you have a long journey by car, train or airplane, you should know that prolonged immobility aggravates varicose veins.
- What kind of advice? Stretch your legs whenever possible, use compression stockings, you can also massage the calves in the direction up to the knee and do circular movements with the ankles.
- Walk barefoot along the shore : sea water has a very beneficial effect on the veins.
- Swim more, you will immediately feel great relief when doing any exercises in the water, it also contributes to the activation of venous blood flow.
3. Comfortable clothes and shoes
- Put aside all the narrow trousers . The best and summer options are pareos or long cotton dresses that will also help protect you from the sun.
Take care of comfortable shoes: if the heel of your summer sandals is higher than 4 cm, the surface of the footrest decreases and, consequently, prevents normal venous blood flow.
- Avoid socks that squeeze the calves and ankles, if necessary, use therapeutic socks with compression : at any moment they will bring relief.
4. Avoid constipation
- In the summer, intestinal constipation is a frequent occurrence. As we travel a lot, we go on excursions and eat unusual food , our body stops working “like a clock” and going to the toilet turns into some problem.
- As doctors explain, all this, ultimately, leads to the accumulation of fluid and toxins , and in turn, affects our varicose veins.
- Do not forget to drink plenty of water and juices, and also eat foods rich in fiber, such as fresh fruit. Summer is a pretty “dangerous” season, when you can easily gain a couple of extra pounds. Avoid this.
Maintain a balanced diet and do not overeat . Your overall health will improve significantly!
And in conclusion, let’s repeat: in order to forget about your varicose for a while in the summer, it is very important to avoid heat sources and take the opportunity to swim in the sea or the pool. You will feel a great relief!