Symptoms Of Gastrointestinal Ulcers
Gastrointestinal ulcer. Surely you have already heard or read about this problem? On the gastric mucous or bowel appears an ulcer, and it is accompanied by severe pain. Usually, its appearance is associated with the consequences of stress, however, this is not always the case. Therefore, it will be useful to know what gastrointestinal ulcer is and what the reasons for its occurrence may be.
Today, in this article, we’ll talk about a gastrointestinal ulcer or peptic ulcer, and we’ll focus on her symptoms, so you can recognize them right away. Are you already interested?
What is a gastrointestinal ulcer?
A peptic ulcer is a disease, which, unfortunately, is very common. Our way of life, not always as healthy as we would like, contributes to the emergence of this problem, which consists in the destruction of the mucous membrane of the stomach or the upper part of the duodenum.
This open wound or ulcer arises because suddenly there are changes in our digestive process, too much acid is released and it eventually causes the appearance of one or more ulcers. You probably will be surprised by this fact, but according to statistics, almost 20% of the world’s population suffers from this problem.
We must be careful about our health, because if you do not notice the symptoms of ulcers in time and start treatment, this can lead to more serious consequences.
What are the effects of gastrointestinal ulcers?
- The most common cause of ulcers is the presence of a bacterium, Helicobacter pylori . It’s true that when we talk about an ulcer, we immediately associate its appearance with stress, with those metabolic changes that cause an elevated level of cortisol (a stress hormone) in our body, because usually it is the first to suffer from digestion. Nevertheless, it must be remembered that this is not always the case, and that, in fact, in most cases it is the bacteria that are largely responsible for the onset of this disease.
- Do you often take ibuprofen to fight pain? If this is the case, you should be careful, since a large number of such drugs can, in the long run, cause changes in the secretion of gastric acid and cause ulcers.
- Tobacco is also one of the main culprits of this problem. If today you continue to smoke, it’s time to seriously think about your health and quit smoking. It’s worth it!
- Alcohol , which often accompanies a very spicy, spicy or spicy food, can also lead to the appearance of stomach and duodenal ulcers.
- Stress can also be a reason not to be forgotten, but, as already noted above, it is not 100% decisive. People who lead a quiet and peaceful life, with low levels of stress and anxiety, also suffer from gastrointestinal ulcers.
Gastrointestinal ulcers Symptoms
The main problem of peptic ulcer is that, despite the pain and discomfort, as a rule, its symptoms are confused with simple indigestion, or acid reflux.
It is worth knowing that if we do not start treating the ulcer on time, the condition will worsen, it can even perforate the wall of the stomach or small intestine, causing bleeding, or even affect another organ, for example, the pancreas.
This is a serious disease. So remember these symptoms and do not forget to consult with your doctor for any discomfort, anxiety or just feeling unwell. In this list, we listed the most common symptoms:
- Feeling of “overcrowding” . Immediately after eating, you feel a swollen and firm stomach, as if you ate too much, and even hardly can breathe. If you notice that this happens to you regularly, and not only on certain days, consult a doctor.
- Hiccups, belching, gases… After lunch, an extremely uncomfortable process begins when you start hiccup, or you can not stop belching, and at the end of the day, the time of irritating gases comes.
- Pain in the abdomen: pain concentrates around the navel, and it’s not just a worry, but a rather intense burning sensation that no soothing remedy can alleviate. If you experience similar symptoms for a week or more, contact your doctor.
- Sudden attacks of hunger: it is curious that with a gastrointestinal ulcer, after a meal, we feel that “overflowing”, however, after several hours, we are attacked by an animal famine attack. This is actually a “false hunger”, as this feeling is caused by the ulcer and stomach acid.
- Nausea and weight loss: these are more serious signs that should lead us into a state of alert. No one is losing weight for no apparent reason. This is a clear sign that we have digestive problems and that we do not eat adequately. If vomiting is added to weight loss, it is already more than obvious that it’s time to see a doctor. Do not delay or delay the solution!
- Vomiting with blood : this is a direct indication that this ulcer has already broken the wall of the stomach or duodenum. If this happens, rather go to the emergency room. Stay calm, because the ulcer is treatable. With proper treatment, some changes in your diet and the style of your life, this disease can retreat. It is important to be able to recognize all these symptoms in time and act as quickly as possible.