Pain In The Left Side Of The Abdomen
Pain, regardless of its nature and localization, is always a symptom that something “wrong” occurs with the body.
Of course, it is wrong to look for illnesses and diagnose yourself. But it’s wrong and do not pay attention to pain. If it occurs again and again, you should definitely consult a doctor .
So what does the pain in the left side of the abdomen mean ? We will tell you about this so that you can navigate, and recall that the diagnosis can only be made by a doctor.
My stomach hurts from the left side. What could it be?
The pain in the left side of the abdomen can in no case be ignored. Especially if the following factors occur:
- The constant nature of pain. Serious problems with health are evidenced by constant, regularly occurring pain; it is also very important to notice whether it occurs after eating.
- What does the pain look like? It’s okay if it’s a mild pain that comes and goes; it can be caused by gas formation. A serious illness can be testified by severe pain, stitching and “dry” . It seems that a very hot plate was attached to this place. The pain constantly makes itself felt, you can not stop thinking about it.
- If you take a painkiller, the pain may disappear, but it comes back in a few hours or the next day.
- Doctors, when taking patients, very often hear complaints of pain in the left side of the abdomen . Most often it turns out that there is nothing serious, that the pains are caused by stress or gases, as was said above. However, one must always keep in mind that such pain can also testify to problems with the pancreas, stomach, left kidney or left side of the liver … Therefore, one should not pay no attention to them.
Let’s talk more about these possible causes of pain.
Most often it happens pancreatitis. Usually, pancreatitis “makes itself felt” with such severe pain that urgent hospitalization is required .
With this disease, severe pain in the left side of the abdomen is accompanied by fever, nausea, palpitations … It is necessary to carefully observe these symptoms.
Especially for how they are related to digestion. Do you feel after eating that the stomach is full, do you feel thirsty, heaviness in the abdomen and pain on the left side … If the pain is severe and accompanied by other symptoms described here, you can suspect pancreatitis.
2. Intestinal obstruction
Occurs because of an obstruction of the rectum or because of narrowing of the intestine . Often, this requires surgical intervention.
In this disease, for various reasons, the movement of food and fluid along the intestine is blocked. Symptoms of it are pronounced. In addition to pain in the left side of the abdomen, this is fever, as well as stool and gas retention (human attempts to empty the intestines are unsuccessful).
We have already told about diverticulitis. These are several inflammations along the bowel, “pouches” filled with pus, which cause pain.
With this disease, there is diarrhea, constipation, nausea , abdominal pain, swelling, blood in secretions. One must know that such a cause of abdominal pain is possible.
4. Kidney stones
Sometimes, kidney stones do not make themselves felt, especially while they are still small. However, in one “uninterrupted moment”, when the size of the stone becomes large enough, pain appears.
This pain can be located on the left side of the abdomen, but – attention! – it is often given and in the back, on the same side . Just at the height of the kidney.
5. Ovarian Cysts
They are often in women. And on the left side, too, of course. What symptoms do they manifest? We eat a little, but it feels like the stomach is full. We feel a strong pain on the left side; to it irregularity of menstrual cycles , a pain in the field of a basin, a nausea and a strong pain in a stomach are added .
6. Other causes: food intoxication, gases, stress …
- These factors most often cause pain, and they are, of course, less serious. But the fact that they are not as “serious” as, for example, pancreatitis, does not mean that they can not be ignored. Absolutely.
- Sometimes pain causes some kind of food, poor quality or simply intolerable by the body. Then the body is protected. There may be severe pain on the left side and nausea.
- The cause of the pain may be gases , and, although it may seem strange, they are often collected from the left side of the abdomen.
- And what about stress? Is stress also localized in this part of the body? Recall that stress is inextricably linked with the body, that it worsens digestion, and that many nerves are in the stomach … Therefore, one should bear this in mind.
In conclusion, we recall that any symptoms, any health problems should be discussed with the doctors so that they establish an accurate diagnosis. Never do self-medication and follow the advice of doctors.