Secondary drowning in children
Summer brings not only joy. Unfortunately, every summer a sad account is drowned on the beaches or in the pools. Drowning and adults and children. Of course, special attention should be paid to the safety of children.
In order for children to enjoy bathing without risk, one should not lose sight of them when they bathe, in the pool check whether the water flow is equipped with a grate and so on.
Of course, we all are horrified when we read the reports of those who died in the water, drowned children.
But there is another type of accidents, he is not so famous, but also takes children’s lives every year …
We are talking about the so-called “secondary drowning” . In this case, sinking children or adults are rescued, pulled out of the water and returned to life by appropriate procedures (artificial respiration and the like).
They return home seemingly already in a normal state, but after a few hours or even days they begin to feel very tired , go to bed and … do not wake up. It’s terrible, but it happens.
In this article, we will talk about secondary drowning so that you can take care of the safety of your children, and about your own.
Secondary drowning: quiet death
First, let’s tell, or rather, a story that happened more recently with Lindsay Kujawa ( Lindsay Kujawa), the author of an interesting blog in which she writes about the original recipes, handicrafts, her mother’s experience.
This story got into the media (Huffington.post), and, of course, she was told about it by Lindsay herself. Her son was drowning in the home pool, he stayed under water for a few seconds, fortunately, he was dragged out in time and carried out intensive care procedures.
With him everything was fine, but Lindsay decided to turn to the pediatrician and left him a message on the answering machine, where she told what had happened. Imagine her surprise when the doctor very quickly reacted to this message and recommended her to deliver the child to the hospital as soon as possible.
When Lindsay found her son, she discovered that he really wanted to sleep. He was very tired, and his legs began to “spin”. Something bad was obviously going on with him. This was confirmed by the analyzes done at the hospital.
The lungs of the boy were irritated and inflamed with chemicals that are commonly used in swimming pools. The level of oxygen in his blood fell right in front of his eyes, and the child actually “drowned” without noticing it.
Doctors could, managed to save the boy with the help of necessary medical procedures and good care. It took several days. Fortunately, the mother of the child quickly informed the doctor about what had happened and the doctors took all the necessary measures.
But not all such stories end with such a happy ending. It is known that many children die as a result of secondary drowning.
After the child drowned, it can take up to three days without obvious symptoms of any health problems. But in the meantime, these problems are growing, and a tragedy is taking place.
What you need to know about secondary drowning and dry drowning
- A “dry” drowning occurs when the body and the brain “feel” that they have to “breathe” water now. Then, as a protective reaction, there is a spasm of the airways . Water does not enter the lungs, but there does not enter the air, as a result, the person remains without oxygen.
- Secondary drowning occurs when water enters the lungs and remains there. You can “pump out” the child, but some of the water remains in the lungs, and gradually it causes pulmonary edema.
At first, this pulmonary edema does not cause problems for the body, but after a few hours or days it can lead to death.
- It must also be taken into account that the water in the pools contains many chemicals. If they get into the lungs with water, there is inflammation and irritation.
- Chlorine strongly irritates the bronchi.
- After the drowned child was dragged out of the water, a part of the water was squeezed out of it and artificial respiration was made, still a little water could remain in the lungs .
After a few hours, this water causes inflammation of the bronchi, there is a pulmonary edema , resulting in a decrease in the oxygen content in the blood.
- If your child is drowning, even if it was “not for long”, and at first glance it is quite normal, feel free to contact the doctors for emergency help .
- Do not for a moment lose sight of the children when you are at the beach or in the pool.
- Teach them to swim as soon as possible.
- Even if the children can swim, do not relax. The child can become ill or something (someone) can hit him in the pool (for example, another child will jump on it from the side). So, do not lose vigilance, you need to constantly monitor the children.
Enjoy with the children the summer sun and swimming in the sea or the pool, but always remember what we told in this article . The life and health of your children are worth it!