In today’s article, we would like to introduce you to effective stretching exercises that can help you out when your back is in great need of rest.
Exercises that will soothe back pain
According to a study on spine care conducted in 2010, 80% of the world’s population experienced back pain at least once.
Often back pain can be considered a chronic disease. Most often they suffer from adults who perform certain types of work (in this special group of risk are the office workers).
The good news is that there are a lot of stretching exercises that can help us with the appearance of such pains. Needless to say, sometimes back pains take us by surprise in the middle of the working day, when long hours remain before returning home.
Some of these exercises can be done at work, for others you will need a more comfortable and peaceful place. Now you will find out which stretch exercises are most effective for back pain.
Lifting the knees to the chest
- Put a sports mat on the floor, lie on your back and straighten your legs.
- Lift one knee towards the chest and grasp it with your hands.
- Hold in this position for 30 seconds, then return to the starting position. Repeat the movement with the other knee.
- Do the exercise 10 times with each leg.
If possible, try to supplement the exercise with the third element – lifting both legs simultaneously. The idea is to make your body look like a hemisphere. Occupy these positions, stay calm and do not move.
Thin muscles start near the pubis and continue to the tibia. They participate in hip movements and often require our attention when pain occurs.
- To stretch these muscles, you need to lie on your back and bend your left knee at a right angle (90 degrees).
- Take hold of the tips of your toes and try to pull it out as far as you can. The idea of the exercise is that, as a result, the leg is fully straightened with a parallel foot foot.
- Hold this position for a few seconds. Repeat it three times, and then do the same with the right foot.
Another exercise performed on the floor. But this time you need to lie on your stomach.
- Put your hands on the back of your head, crossing your fingers.
- Raise your head and shoulders, arching your back so that it resembles an arch form. Pay special attention to the thoracic and lumbar spine. Feel how the shoulder blades touch each other.
- Attention: the movements of this exercise must be performed slowly and carefully.
This exercise is also a good prevention of back pain and helps with their treatment.
- Take the sports mat and lie down on your back. Straighten your legs. They must stay together. Hands stretch along the body.
- Pull the right knee to the left. The thigh also stretches to the left, but does not come off the ground.
- Make sure that the right shoulder is also pressed against the floor. In this case, the exercise will be performed perfectly.
- Hold in this position for a few seconds, then relax and do the same with the left side. Repeat the exercise for 5 approaches with each thigh.
Pain in the lower back can bother those people who are forced to lift heavy objects and spend a lot of time standing up. Exercise, which will now be discussed, will help you stretch your lower back and thighs.
- Get on your knees and bend your right leg so that it rests at the foot.
- Straighten the torso and pull the left leg back, touching the floor with the upper part of the foot. To maintain balance and better perform stretching, grasp the right knee with both hands.
- Hold in this position for 30 seconds. Make sure that your back remains straight.
- Repeat the same algorithm of action, bending the left leg at the knee.
This exercise received such a name because of the similarity with the movements of these animals. Each of us saw a cat sipping its back after a dream or a long stay in the same pose.
This exercise is often resorted to during Pilates classes, as well as in rehabilitation centers. Thanks to him our back becomes more flexible, and her musculature stretches.
- Stand on all fours, leaning on the floor with the palms of your hands and toes.
- Straighten your back and be in this position for a few seconds. After that, throw your back into the arch.
- Hold for a few seconds and in this position. Then perform a back ache, arching your back in the opposite direction.
- Repeat the exercise several times.
Do not forget that this exercise needs to be done very slowly and carefully watching your breathing.
Full back stretches
This exercise can be performed near a table or wall.
- Stand up, putting your feet together, and tilt your back so that it is parallel to the floor.
- Pull your arms forward so that they continue the line of your back. Lie on the table or chair with your hands.
- Straining the shoulders so that all the back muscles are well stretched.
- Try to stay in this position for as long as possible. Rise gradually so that you do not feel dizzy.
- If it is difficult for you to keep your legs pressed against each other, they are slightly spread out in the hip area.
Exercises, which we told you about today, are interesting and effective. But this is not the only remedy against back pain.
That pain bothers you as little as possible, you need to monitor your posture. If you are forced to stay at the table for a long time, take breaks every hour to get some exercise. It is also necessary to maintain a certain distance between the monitor, the keyboard and your body.