Snoring occurs when the tongue, the upper part of the throat and the sky vibrate due to contact with the tonsils or lymph nodes. In most cases, snoring is associated with obesity or overweight.
It is believed that about 45% of adults snore, at least sometimes. Most often, snoring is the result of colds, allergies, alcohol consumption before bed or smoking.
Regardless of the reason for snoring, it can very annoy your roommates or family members. Most people who suffer from snoring, sleep badly, because they have to constantly wake up because of loud sounds.
Although it is very difficult to instantly cope with snoring, there are various ways that can help you get rid of this problem. If snoring occurs too often, it is best to see a doctor to make sure that your body is okay.
A few tips for preventing and controlling snoring
- Sleep on your side: when you sleep on your back, the tongue and the sky close the larynx and block the flow of air into the lungs, which causes the person to snore. If you can not sleep on your side, use a little trick: attach the tennis ball to the back of your pajamas, then it will cause discomfort when you roll over on your back and you have to sleep on your side.
- Use extra pillows: use pillows so that the head is much higher than the rest of the body, then the airways will remain open and you will not suffer from snoring.
- Try to lose weight: if you suffer from obesity or excess weight, try to lose weight by a few pounds. This is one of the most common causes of snoring.
- Stop smoking: tobacco smoke irritates and leads to inflammation of the upper respiratory tract, because of which a person begins to snore loudly. It’s time to finally get rid of this addiction to stop snoring and improve the quality of your life as a whole.
- Do not drink alcohol before bed: excessive consumption of alcoholic drinks three hours before sleep leads to the fact that the tongue, tonsils and the sky relax too much, resulting in our breathing accompanied by loud vibrations.
Effective means against snoring
- Rinse your throat with mint infusion: when snoring is associated with a cold or an allergy, try rinsing your throat with a mint infusion before going to bed. To do this, add a drop of peppermint oil into a glass of cold water and rinse the throat. Do not swallow. You can also make peppermint tea and rinse your throat.
- Nettle tea: if snoring is associated with allergies or breathing problems, it is very important to remove all dust and dirt from the respiratory tract. Drink puree tea, prepared from a teaspoon of dried leaves and a cup of boiling water. Cover the infusion with a lid and leave for 5 minutes. Nettle is considered a natural antihistamine.
- Onion: this is a classic remedy for snoring. Cut the bulb in half, salt it and put it next to the head of the bed.
- Salt and soda: this remedy helps to clear the nose and the respiratory tract and prevents the appearance of snoring. Mix a cup of water at room temperature and a half tablespoon of salt and add a pinch of baking soda to it. Use an inhaler or a rubber pear and wash your nose with this mixture.
- Olive oil and rue: to prepare this remedy, put 50 g of rue in a sealed bottle and fill it with olive oil. Leave the mixture in a dark place for two weeks. Put it on the bridge of the nose, neck and decollete zone before going to bed.
- Physical exercises: they not only help to lose weight, but also relieve snoring. Start with 30 minutes of exercise every day and you will very soon notice positive changes.