There are many versions of what does the word “yoga.” In the Tibetan tradition – this knowledge path. In Indian – bridle, control, elimination of obstacles and errors in perception. Standard terminology in yoga was not, some schools had a common goal of knowledge itself and the world but could use a variety of ways to achieve this aim. It is important to know that yoga not only provides a description of the world as allows to grasp everything on their experience, through their experience, and as a result come to an understanding of his nature.
The subject of this philosophical system – answers to philosophical questions of life: “Who am I? Why was I born and live? Where am I going? What to do and how to act? “. When we ask ourselves such questions and seek answers to them, we become aware and take responsibility for their lives.
The first mention of yoga is found in ancient texts such as the Rig-Veda, the Upanishads, the Bhagavad-gita. In the year 400 BC. e. Sage Patanjali summarized the whole yoga experience and applied it to a system, separated from religion, without belonging to any school.
Yoga system according to Patanjali has eight stages. About them, I’ll tell you.
It is accepted ethical principles to be followed at three levels – the body (the action), the mind (thoughts and intentions), speech (words) – in relation both to himself and to others. Yama includes the following qualities:
- Ahimsa – not causing harm to all living beings, including ourselves, compassion.
- Satya – sincerity, and truthfulness, including important not to deceive himself.
- Asteya – not to steal, like things and ideas, non-obsessive desire to possess what is not ours. Including Asteya suggests that a person does not take time and energy of yourself, doing something unnecessary or overstrained.
- Aparigraha – lack of desire for accumulation of wealth. Any thing we use is temporary; nothing can ever belong to man, even the body. Therefore, it makes sense to be happy that we have now, but do not resign ourselves to suffering, if we are deprived of something, and do not strive for continuous hoarding.
- Brahmacharya – in the ancient texts, this aspect could be interpreted as a departure from the mundane family life. In today’s world, for the people who live in society, it is rather a moderation in their words, actions, and desires. This is a departure from the bondage of the senses and emotions.
This kind of self-discipline, which involves the development of the qualities necessary for a harmonious life.
- Saucha – cleanliness on the level of body, mind, and speech. For the purity of the body basic hygiene (clean skin), healthy food, cleaning procedures, physical and breathing exercises. For the purity of mind is a necessary cleansing of emotions such as anger, anger, pride, greed. At the level of speech, it is important to realize that we have the world in their words.
- Santosha – developing the ability to be grateful for all that we have. When we woke up in the house with a roof over his head, we have food close – we can already be happy. Always striving for something more, you need to be able to rejoice in the fact that we already know. This helps keep the internal forces in different situations.
- Tapas – the constancy of effort, regular practice, both the physical and the spiritual level. Saving the inner fire of motivation.
- Ishvarapranidhana – awareness of the presence of higher powers in their lives. You can call them the Universal Mind, the Universe, God. When we remember that, we feel the support.
- Svadhyaya – the desire for self-education, new knowledge, reading literature.
Physical exercises. This auxiliary exercises in yoga. Their primary task – to pump blood and lymph, improve the body so that it made it possible to perform the basic practices – meditation, stop thinking thoughts that are often made in a fixed position of the body with a flat back. To do this, the agency must prepare.
It is important to understand that the asanas are not an end in yoga. None of the exercises can be binding. We need to pick up the load, adequate for the age, health status, physical condition at the moment. Also avoid those areas of mobility, which are harmful to the spine and thus lead to subluxation and diseases. This twisting, bending toward the deep troughs, the axial load on the spine, asymmetric heavy lifting and excessive wear of the body (the presence of reasonable amounts of high complexity).
Breathing exercises. This is both to work with care and ventilation of the respiratory system of the body.
The ability to separate his feelings from the mind, the separation of the object and what we feel for him.
Practice meditation, which uses a focus on a particular purpose (e.g., a candle flame, or a stream of water). Thus there is a temporary suspension from the outside world.
Deeper meditation, which is also called contemplation. It is a state of pure consciousness, uncomplicated defilements, and disturbances of the mind.
The state of super-consciousness, when the practitioner is aware that the one who observes and what he observes – is one. All is one.
Eight masters all stages should be consistent, at your pace, watching it change your life.